Current:Home > ContactMohamed Al-Fayed, late billionaire whose son died with Princess Diana, accused of rape -WealthConverge Strategies
Mohamed Al-Fayed, late billionaire whose son died with Princess Diana, accused of rape
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 19:42:30
Mohamed Al-Fayed, the late billionaire whose son died with Princess Diana, has been accused of inappropriate sexual conduct including rape by multiple women and girls.
The Egyptian businessman and ex-owner of the luxury London department store Harrods is the subject of a new BBC documentary "Al Fayed: Predator at Harrods." BBC reports it heard testimony from 20 women and girls, including 13 survivors who opened up in the doc about Al-Fayed's alleged abuse. Al-Fayed died last year at 94.
At the time of the alleged abuse, he owned the Ritz Paris hotel and British football club Fulham FC in addition to Harrods. BBC says the documentary will show "the scale and seriousness of these allegations" for the first time and suggests Harrods helped cover up Al-Fayed's crimes.
Al Fayed's 25-year tenure as owner of Harrods lasted from 1985 to 2010. According to a BBC News article published Thursday, the alleged incidents took place in London; St. Tropez, France; Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; and Paris, where his son died.
An Associated Press article published last year chronicled Al-Fayed's controversial beliefs surrounding his son's death alongside Princess Diana in a Paris car crash after a paparazzi chase in 1997. According to the AP, the billionaire believed the pair were killed in a conspiracy masterminded by Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Princess Kate finishes chemotherapy andsays she's 'doing what I can to stay cancer-free'
Other claims documented by the AP said that Diana was pregnant with Al-Fayed's grandchild, and she planned to marry his son, but the royal family did not want the princess to marry a Muslim.
Harrods' new owners say they're 'appalled' by Mohamed Al-Fayed's alleged abuse
In a statement published on their website, Harrods addressed the allegations of abuse Thursday.
"We are utterly appalled by the allegations of abuse perpetrated by Mohamed Al Fayed. These were the actions of an individual who was intent on abusing his power wherever he operated, and we condemn them in the strongest terms," the statement reads. "We also acknowledge that during this time as a business we failed our employees who were his victims and for this we sincerely apologize."
The statement continued, calling Harrods "a very different organization than it was when Al-Fayed owned it," saying they "cannot undo the past" while promising to ensure "that such behaviour can never be repeated in the future."
The company said that "since new information came to light in 2023 about historic allegations of sexual abuse by Al Fayed, it has been our priority to settle claims in the quickest way possible." They added that they want to avoid "lengthy legal proceedings" for the women involved and they will continue that process for current and former employees.
veryGood! (37)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- A helicopter, a fairy godmother, kindness: Inside Broadway actor's wild race from JFK to Aladdin stage
- Singapore police uncover more gold bars, watches and other assets from money laundering scheme
- Ozzy Osbourne Shares His Why He's Choosing to Stop Surgeries Amid Health Battle
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Alex Murdaugh plans to do something he hasn’t yet done in court — plead guilty
- Railroads work to make sure firefighters can quickly look up what is on a train after a derailment
- 2 accused of hanging an antisemitic banners on a Florida highway overpass surrender to face charges
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Horoscopes Today, September 20, 2023
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Jason Kelce Says Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Romance Rumors Are 100 Percent True
- Japan’s troubled Toshiba to delist after takeover by Japanese consortium succeeds
- DJ Khaled Reveals How Playing Golf Has Helped Him Lose Weight
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Former federal prosecutor who resigned from Trump-Russia probe says she left over concerns with Barr
- Man set to be executed for 1996 slaying of University of Oklahoma dance student
- George R.R. Martin, John Grisham and other major authors sue OpenAI, alleging systematic theft
Recommendation
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Why Oprah Winfrey Wants to Remove “Shame” Around Ozempic Conversation
Poker player who drew donations for Las Vegas event lied about dying from cancer
Gigi Hadid Gives Glimpse Into Birthday Celebrations for Her and Zayn Malik's 3-Year-Old Daughter Khai
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Iran’s president says US should ease sanctions to demonstrate it wants to return to nuclear deal
Speaker McCarthy says there’s still time to prevent a government shutdown as others look at options
Gossip Girl Alum Leighton Meester Channels Blair Waldorf in Stylish Red Carpet Look